Google+ Followers

Saturday, July 6, 2013

The Spooky Staircase...

Hope everyone is having a great summer so far. I am happy to be finishing up my illustrations for Mr. Chimpanzee, when I received an assignment for Music K-8. They are working on their first issue of the year which covers Halloween. One of my favorite holidays. Anyway, my assignment was to create an illustration of a "scary staircase" that looked old, creaky and foreboding.  So that's what I drew (illio. on the right). Pretty spooky, right? Well, too spooky for Music K-8 which is a music magazine for kids.  I was actually flattered to be told my illustration was too scary! So I had to rethink what I could do to tone down the scary-ness. So, the illustration on the left was my final art. What do you think?  :)



          
Too scary!!!
Just right!!




1 comment:

  1. I'm glad you shared this one with us, Stephanie. It's neat to see an unused early variant of your illustration, and it's amusing to think that the first attempt was just too scary! It looks just right to me. The two pieces express the same theme, certainly, but the execution is clearly quite different. Nice work!

    ReplyDelete